In this article, I’m going to cover one of Zojirushi’s astounding rice cooker models that’s currently available in the market and it is none other than the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5½ Cup Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer.
Take note that the Zojirushi NS-TSC comes in 2 variants: NS-TSC10 and the NS-TSC18. In this review, we are going to take into account the model NS-TSC10 since the most notable difference between these two variants is only the size and the capacity. Take a look first at the following manufacturer video and then, let’s proceed to its notable features.
Zojirushi NS-TSC10 Key Features:
1. Run on a Micro-Computerized System (MICOM)
- The Zojirushi NS-TSC10 Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer utilizes an automated Keep Warm, Extended Keep Warm, and Re-heating Cycle which is handy to keep your cooked rice in its best quality, unlike most conventional rice cookers. If ever the cooked rice would go cold at some point, the rice cooker will immediately recognize it and enter the re-heating cycle.
- With the use of Micro-computerized Fuzzy Technology, the rice cooker is easy to use through the push of a simple button. This makes it very convenient to utilize even for first-time users. No complicated fancy functions here.
2. Easy-to-clean exterior and non-stick cooking pot
- The NS-TSC10 utilizes a stainless-steel exterior which is easy to wash and rinse. That aside, the interior cooking pot utilizes a non-stick surface making it easy to clean and you won’t need to worry about leftover rice sticking all over the lining of the cooking pot ever again.
- While note related to this section, be aware that the cooking pot has some measuring lines making it easy to measure how much water or rice you are placing inside the rice cooker.
3. Beep or melody signal (can be modified to your liking)
- This can be adjusted to your preference – the beep or melody signal lets you know whether the rice is ready. This nullifies the need for constantly checking the rice cooker from time to time.
4. Built-in retractable power cord
- When not in use, you have the option of retracting the rice cooker’s power cord back into a certain spot of the rice cooker. On top of that, the rice cooker has an internal reel which allows you to wind up the power cord for easy storage making this more space-friendly than conventional rice cookers.
5. Maximum Capacity: 5.5 cups uncooked rice (NS-TSC18), 10 cups (NS-TSC18)
- The capacity and size are just okay to handle all the rice that you’d want to consume for the day. Bear in mind though that this rice cooker follows the Japanese standards for a cup of rice which is roughly around 2/3’s of a US-standard cup of rice. Not much of a drawback but it is something important for you to take note of.
- Since the NS-TSC comes available in two size variants: NS-TSC10 and NS-TSC18, try to think first of how frequently you consume rice before investing in the right one. Also, you need to take note that rice cookers come with a measuring cup. If you put 5 1/2 cups of the “uncooked rice” into the rice cooker with water, it will make approximately 10-11 cups of the same cup size of “cooked rice” when it is finished cooking.
6. A variety of settings for you to use!
- Whether you like plain or brown rice, the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 has a lot of options and configurable settings that will assure that the cooked rice will meet your standards.
7. Can do more than just cooking and warming rice!
- Just because it is a rice cooker doesn’t mean it is just stuck to cooking and keeping your rice warm. It is capable of doing the following:
Cake Settings – Through the use of a cake menu setting, you can bake Sponge Cakes and Cheesecakes on this Zojirushi rice cooker. Take note that there are some recipes in the user manual if you want to try this function out for the first time.
Steam Basket – Want some steamed vegetables or maybe dim sum? Through the use of a steam basket accessory that comes in alongside the rice cooker, you can ready the steamed food of your choice and cook rice at the same time! The Zojirushi NS-TSC10 has a Steam menu function to entertain that purpose.
8. Battery-powered clock
- Take note that even when the rice cooker is unplugged, you will notice that its clock isn’t turned off and that’s because the clock utilizes a separate battery as its power source. This prevents the rice cooker from losing time when it is unplugged. A small feature but it is still something worth taking note of.
Now that we’ve managed to cover the key features of the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5½-cup Micom Rice Cooker. We shall now proceed to what the general consensus says about this particular rice cooker, so let’s move onto the Pros and Cons section of this article.
NS-TSC10 Pros and Cons
Every great device has its own set of pros and cons. Let’s get to see what both reviewers and proud owners have a say about the Zojirushi NS-TSC10.
- Rice that’s made in the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 tends to come out perfectly cooked. Fluffy and sticky and the quality is almost or even on par with the rice served in Asian restaurants. This rice cooker works perfectly with short and medium-grain rice.
- The pot is non-stick, making it easy to rinse and clean. There’s no need to soak the pot in water so that the sticky leftover rice will lose its grip.
- Space-friendly in terms of storing, it has an internal reel that retracts the power cord.
- Operating the rice cooker is very simple
- Capable of holding the cooked rice for a longer period of time. It averages around half a day (12 hours) and even when the cooked rice is left out for that amount of time, it still comes off as freshly-made.
- Has a few accessories to accommodate additional roles and functionalities (scoop, paddle, and the steam basket). In fact, if you’re not cooking rice, as said earlier – it can be utilized in baking sponge cakes or even preparing steam food such as vegetables, fish, or even dim sum.
- The cooking cycle is rather long, it lasts for an hour because this includes the soaking and steaming time. Despite that, the end product justifies the time taken to prepare the rice for consumption.
- Not exactly the best rice cooker to use for long-grained rice as you can’t utilize the measuring marks. The measuring marks are meant for use for short and medium-grained rice.
- Storing the cooker with the accessories can be a bit of a hassle.
(TIP: If you are intending to store the rice cooker with the accessories, an excellent route to take is to have the Steam Basket stored separately and have the accessories such as the scoop and paddle to be placed inside the rice cooker)
- Has a hefty price tag
Before we would proceed to the final remarks about the NS-TSC10 rice cooker. We’ll get to know how to keep the rice cooker at its best shape in the Maintenance section.
Maintenance of the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 Micom Rice Cooker
Maintaining your Zojirushi Rice Cooker is easy. All you need to do is to follow these simple steps and your rice cooker is sure to serve you well for a long period of time.
- Thoroughly clean the cooking pot after use. A combination of warm water and dishwasher soap is enough to keep it well-cleaned.
- When serving, only utilize the plastic spatula that comes in with the Rice Cooker.
(NOTE: Utilizing metal utensils on the Rice Cooker can scratch and remove the non-stick lining and we’d want to avoid that from happening)
- After cooking, remove the removable inner lid by pulling it off or through the release tabs if the rice cooker has it. Wash it with water and wipe it dry.
- If there is leftover rice or water on the heating element of the rice cooker. Use a damp cloth to clean it off. That’s because leftover rice or water can contribute to uneven heat distributions if left unwatched.
- Clean the exterior with the use of a damp cloth.
- If the rice cooker model has a removable steam vent, then remove them and clean it.
- Replace the gasket If needed.
(HINT: If the gasket is starting to show signs of discoloration, then it is best that you would start purchasing a replacement – this can be done by contacting their customer service)
With the maintenance section all covered up. Now let’s move on to the final remarks about the Zojirushi NS-TSC10.
The Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5½-cup Micom Rice Cooker is almost a perfect rice cooker to add to your home. With a variety of easy to utilize features and some accessories and additional functionalities, this rice cooker isn’t just locked to cooking rice and keeping it warm. It can steam food and bake cakes if you need it. A new user won’t be having problems utilizing this computerized rice cooker as its functions are easy to use.
The only downsides are rather minor, this rice cooker isn’t the best choice for long-grained rice, it can take a while before the rice is ready and it can be a bit of a hefty investment. Despite the few flaws, the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 is still worth considering if you’re looking for a rice cooker that combines both effective functionality and simplicity.
You can take a look at our other Zojirushi Rice Cooker Reviews by clicking here.