The cold season is here, and to keep yourself all warmed up in that big space at your home or office, you will need to get the Best Space Heater for a Large Room.
Keep reading up to the end and our experts will show you a curated list of the 9 best space heaters for large rooms available in the market in 2020, you’ll be able to identify and select the Best Heater for that large area. We provide you the info, you make the choice!
Dr. Infrared Heater
* Very efficient.
Duraflame 3D Infrared Quartz Fireplace
* Attractive aesthetics
DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater
* Efficient in generating heat
Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater for large rooms.
* Small but powerful
Honeywell HeatGenius Ceramic Heater
* Low Noise
AmazonBasics Portable Radiator Heater
* Operates quietly
Lasko 5538 Ceramic Tower Heater
Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater
* Decent price tag
Mr. Heater Corporation Vent-Free
* < 1 minute to heat up.
Best Space Heater for a Large Room: Ultimate Buyer Guide and Reviews
- Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater for Large Rooms
- Duraflame 3D Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove
- DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater
- Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater for large rooms
- Honeywell HCE840B HeatGenius Ceramic Heater
- AmazonBasics Portable Radiator Heater
- Lasko 5538 Ceramic Tower Heater with Remote Control
- Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater – Ceramic Forced Fan Heating with Stay Cool Housing
- Mr. Heater Corporation Vent-Free 30,000 BTU Blue Flame Propane Heater for a Very Large Room
Let’s proceed to specify the characteristics and benefits of each of these 2020 models of space heaters for large rooms or large drafty rooms.
First up in the list is the Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater DR-968 (1500 Watt) which is considered to be a potent option for heating up a large room.
Compared to its competition which is a myriad of fellow 1500-watt space heaters; the Dr. Infrared Heater simply outclasses them due to its very fast speed of heating up the room; all thanks to its dual heating system which allows it to perform at maximum performance. That strong performance for a small device allows it to be a potentially great choice for large and drafty rooms.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1811″]
The Dr. Infrared is cost and energy sufficient because it has a standby or automatic shut down feature whenever it is not in use hence preventing wasteful use of electricity. The heater can be remotely operated via remote control and has a very user-friendly interface making it not too complicated to use even for first-timers.
Unlike some heaters in its power usage tier, Dr. Infrared operates quietly and doesn’t generate noise when in use. In terms of longevity, the Dr. Infrared Space Heater can last up to an impressive 80,000 estimated hours of operation without issues whereas the competition tends to have elements and components that are less capable of lasting for a long period of time. On top of that, the Dr. Infrared Portable Space Heater is on the cheaper side of the price range making it readily available for those who are looking for a space heater for the colder parts of the year.
- Quick and very efficient in heating up a room.
- Dual heating system allows it to perform at maximum power
- Fares well in a large drafty room
- Cost and energy-efficient due to an automatic shut-down or standby feature
- Easy to operate with the remote control and user-friendly interface/controls.
- Great availability due to its affordable price.
- Doesn’t consume too much space in the household
- Built to last for a long time; at estimated 9 years without facing any performance issues
- Thermostat’s accuracy is not exactly accurate
- A little pricey but not exactly too expensive but watch your electric bill though
- Keep the heater away from curtains and fabrics as the front and rear areas can get quite hot and we’re trying to avoid potential fire hazards
Final Verdict: The Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater DR-968 (1500 Watt) is a very solid option for a space heater for your large room. Because of its quick and efficient heating speed and capability to last for a long time, the DR-968 deserves a spot in your “Must Haves” for a heating system. On top of that, you can enjoy a heated room in the colder parts of the year while saving lots of cash for a long time. Just be advised that the heater must be kept away from the curtains or any fabrics just to avoid any potential fires, and you might spend around more than $100 in order to avail one of these potent little heating powerhouses.
Next up in the list is the Duraflame Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove; sometimes we do love the beauty and the heat provided by fireplaces but we have to deal with the fact of cleaning up the mess due to the ashes of the burnt wood but Duraflame provides a solution for that.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1818″]
The Duraflame Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove replicates the aesthetics of an actual fireplace but without the unsightly mess, especially during cleaning and maintenance. Setup of the heater is easy since the main unit is already assembled and all you need to do is to attach the legs, however placement-wise; treat this heater as same as an actual fireplace and place any flammable/combustible objects around 3 feet away from the unit; both the sides and front to avert any fire hazards.
In terms of safety, the Fireplace Stove comes in with a very unique safety control mechanism in which the heater automatically shuts down when it gets too hot thanks to its built-in thermometer. Take note though that when the unit shuts down frequently, you might want to relocate the unit to a plug with lesser draws on the same circuit.
In terms of usability, the Duraflame Stove offers simple controls but with some welcome additions wherein you can optimize the desired heat levels and provide an automatic shut-down function after 30 minutes of use if the heat has met your requirements. In fact, the heat that the stove provides is impressive but not that too hot to make your skin dry, it is hot but of the right levels.
The Duraflame Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove however while it is not a bad choice for large rooms, it tends to shine better in medium-sized rooms. The stovetop is a bit pricey as well. Pros
- Attractive aesthetics; the Duraflame Stove replicates the beauty of a true fireplace but without the ashes and the cleaning of chimneys.
- Easy to set up and doesn’t occupy too much space
- Provides excellent heat
- It has a safety mechanism to avoid the melting of plugs or overheating through a built-in thermometer and automatic shut-off feature.
- Tends to shine better in medium rooms than large rooms
- You can’t put display items on the surface because it heats up as well
Final Verdict: Pricey it may be, but the Duraflame Electric Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove offers the same benefits as an actual fireplace but a fraction of the cost of getting a true fireplace to your home.
It is easy to set up and doesn’t eat up too much space once the device is up and running and has some tricks up its sleeve to provide excellent heat and at the same time; has countermeasures against some of the common problems seen in other space heaters such as overheating and plugs melting off. Such a shame though due to its pleasing design; if only the top surface doesn’t go hot, you can add some decorations to make it more attractive.
As said earlier, it ain’t a bad choice for large rooms but it tends to fare better when heating medium rooms.
You might mistake the next entry as a “piece of art” hanging on the wall and its none other than the DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater. This heater packs 1500 watts of heating power and is capable of providing the best room comfort.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1821″]
With a sleek and low-profile design, the Mica Panel Heater can be set on the floor or be hanged or mounted on the wall giving you a new yet stylish way to keep yourselves warm and in addition to that, it can be rolled around on four wheels if it is needed to be transferred to a better spot in the room. Speaking of hanged or mounted on the wall, the DeLonghi Mica heater can be a great choice for rooms with a high ceiling.
The Mica-heating element can get hot very fast without consuming much power making it efficient in doing its job and if ever there’s a need for adjusting the temperature; the adjustable thermostat is there for that, with just the use of a knob on the side of the device. In colder times of the year, it has a frost prevention mode which allows the heater to maintain the temperature of the room above 41 degrees Fahrenheit. As for protective mechanisms, it has thermal cutoff and internal tip-over switches that can prevent accidents and provide an added layer of protection making this ideal for households that have either pets or children.
It has a few drawbacks though; while it can be nice for rooms that are decently-sized, it can’t entertain very large rooms effectively; however it can entertain large drafty rooms provided it is given the support of a fan and the Mica heater at maximum power settings has a tendency to create humming noises which can be a bit of a nuisance to some. Pros
- Efficient and effective in generating heat
- Sleek, low-profile design that allows it to be placed on the wall, on the floor or be mounted on four wheels
- Easy to transfer from place to place
- Great for maintaining room temperature during the colder parts of the year due to its Frost-prevention mechanism
- Has additional protections against accidents especially in rooms that have children or pets.
- The thermostat is adjustable; with two heat settings and can be set with the use of a knob
- Has a reasonable price tag
- Good for rooms with a high ceiling
- Generates noise which can be an annoyance to some
- Requires fan support when operating in larger and drafty rooms
Final Verdict: While the DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater has its own shortcomings especially being just a decent but not the best choice for large rooms and the fact that it generates noise, it still has a plethora of good features. The main selling features of the DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater is that it has a very sleek design that makes it not too obvious to be seen within the room; as said before, if this heater was hanged on the wall; it can be mistaken for a piece of art.
The Mica heater is good at heating up quickly allowing it to do its job effectively and efficiently especially during the colder parts of the year. The DeLonghi comes in with a pretty reasonable price tag so it’s not going to poke a huge hole in your wallet.
Let’s turn up the heat even more with the next entry in the list with the Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater with Attachable Feet, Remote Control, Energy Efficient-750-1500 Watts.
This one here is best summed as a compact powerhouse that’s suited for any room in the household. The Heat Storm aside from being a capable space heater is safe to the touch for it uses a Heat Exchanger & HMS Technology in which it combines humidity in the room to provide soft and safe heat, thus making the surfaces and even the grills of the Heat Storm heater safe for touching.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1824″]
The compact size of the heater makes it both ideal for any room in the household and this makes it very easy to transfer around the house. Heat the room of your liking whenever you feel like it and just bring it somewhere else that needs heating. This heater comes in with a LED thermostat allowing you to see the current ambient temperature and if you feel like you need more or less heat, you can control it with remote control. The only downsides here is that it has a short warranty time which is a year and while it does fare decently in a fairly large room; it tends to feel more at home at small to moderately-sized rooms.
- Small but powerful
- Safe to the touch; you won’t need to worry about feeling stinging heat whenever you touch the heating device
- Can be placed on the wall or be mounted on attachable feet
- Can be transferred around the household; heat any room you like when you feel like it.
- Remote control for adjusting the temperature
- Short warranty
- Tends to feel more at home at small to moderately-sized rooms
Final Verdict: While the Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater does have a few problems in the form of a short warranty period and its tendency to prefer smaller rooms; it is still a solid choice to consider. The main selling point of the Heat Storm Phoenix Floor to Wall Infrared Space Heater is that aside from being a powerful heater despite being small, is that it can be transferred around the house in order to heat up another room whenever it is needed.
Energy Efficient 1500 Watt Custom Comfort with 6 Heat Settings, Quiet Mode & Auto-Off Heat Phase Timer. Special for a large room, Home, School or Office.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1826″]
If versatility is what you’re looking for then look no further, the Honeywell HCE840B HeatGenius Ceramic Heater is here to provide you the heating needs that you’re looking for. With over six settings for heating, the Honeywell HCE840B can give you the right amounts of heat through the push of a button; whether you need to heat either the room or the floor.
It is very easy to use, aside from the six settings which allow you to adjust your heating needs, it comes in with a 2-hour auto-off heat phase timer for power saving purposes, a quiet-mode setting which makes it an attractive choice in offices, tip-over and housing protection and a lot of awesome features. Don’t even worry about overheating or accidentally feeling a heated, stinging sensation when touching the device, the Honeywell heater is well-equipped with some safety mechanisms to prevent either one of them due to an overheat protection feature and cool-touch housing. The Honeywell heater is portable so that means you can bring it around to the place that needs heating up. Pros
- Noise can be controlled due to settings
- Has over six heating settings allowing you to find the heating needs that’s just right for you
- Easy to use; nothing too complicated for the user to utilize
- Portable, any room in the household or perhaps in the office can be heated up when the need arises
- Not vulnerable to overheating
- It can heat up decently-sized rooms but might require some support to spread the heat around the room.
Final Verdict: The Honeywell HCE840B is another solid pick to consider as not only it can be optimized to your desired levels of heat and it is very easy to use. Its portability allows it to be brought around the household allowing you to heat up any room that needs warming up when the need arises.
You won’t even need to worry about the peace in the room as settings allow you to adjust the device’s noise generation and it is not vulnerable to overheating which is a recurring issue among heaters. It won’t be capable of heating up the largest of rooms though, but it can take on decently-sized ones provided it is given some support to spread the heat around.
Next in the list is the Amazon Basics Portable Radiator Heater which is capable of providing cozy heat to the room where it is stationed at. This portable oil-filled Radiator is capable of taking out the cold and chilly air in a room and replacing it with comfortable air and with three different heat settings, you can pick which one suits well with your preferences.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1831″]
Heating is attained through the sealed fins that are filled with oil which are heated by the heating elements found inside. That oil doesn’t need refilling so this makes it a low-maintenance heater, and this heater has a rather cheap price tag so it is easily obtainable.
The housing is on the durable side and this makes the heating elements well-protected from bumps and making it an attractive choice in households with kids or pets. The only downsides of the AmazonBasics Radiator Heater are that it is a bit on the slow side to heat up and it’s not the best choice for homes with climates that constantly change rapidly.
- The radiator heater is portable all thanks to its wheels hence it can be transferred from one place to another
- It is fully enclosed and is on the durable side; you won’t need to worry about kids or pets accidentally bumping into it
- The unit has a cool surface temperature, accidentally stinging your fingers due to heat will be a thing of the past
- Operates quietly
- Capable of taking out the chill in the air and providing good warmth in the room
- Affordable; has a low price tag
- The oil within the machine doesn’t need refilling hence making it a low-maintenance machine
- Not best for areas that have constantly changed the temperature
- Slow heating speed
Final Verdict:It is a bit old-fashioned and will heat up a bit on the slower side but the Amazon Basics Portable Radiator Heater can still deliver if you are looking for a pretty good heater that’s readily available at an affordable price tag and doesn’t require too much attention. Just bear in mind to know your area’s climate first before purchasing this since the heater won’t fare well in areas that have climates that constantly change faster than mood swings.
Another budget option in the market is the Lasko 5538 Ceramic Tower Heater which is best summed up as a simple but surprisingly effective heater for an entry-level product. With a multi-function remote control; this allows the user to heat up the room even while on the couch, lying on the bed or perhaps while being busy on the office desk.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1832″]
The Save Smart Technology is a nice touch on the Lasko heater in which it starts weakening and saving energy whenever the desired temperature has been met. On top of that is the Timer settings where you can set up the desired running time for the heater and since it is a Ceramic Heater, you don’t need to worry about fire hazards.
The Lasko heater comes in fully-assembled so it is usable right out of the box and if you need to change spots, fret not because it is portable and can be easily transferred from a room to another. The only drawbacks for it are that the Lasko 5538 is not the best option for larger spaces and it doesn’t have an automated shut-off feature and not ideal for places with heavy activity. Pros
- Not too expensive
- Multi-function remote control allows you to heat the room in the most convenient way
- Save Smart Technology allows it heats up in cool rooms but then shifting to a weaker setting whenever the desired heat is attained to maintain the temperature.
- Comes in fully assembled; it is usable right out of the box
- Time settings allow you to set up the running time for this heater
- Not much of a fire hazard because it is a Ceramic Heater
- Not the ideal choice for large spaces, I guess it can entertain something that is as large as either a Living Room or a two-car garage.
- No automatic shut-off feature, not the best choice in a place with plenty of activity
Final Verdict:The Lasko 5538 is a solid budget option when you’re looking for a solid heater that won’t poke a huge hole into your wallet and is usable right away after it arrives at your household as it comes fully-assembled. With a Save Smart Technology, it is capable of saving energy when the desired heat is attained as it goes from a strong setting when the room is still chilly down to a weaker setting once the area’s hot enough.It is not much of a fire hazard due to its nature as a Ceramic Heater. While these advantages make it a great entry-level heater, it does have a few shortcomings being notably is the lack of automated shut-off feature and the fact that it doesn’t fare well in larger spaces or areas that have a lot of activity.
The Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater is the next heater that manages to make it into the list.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1833″]
The Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater is fast and efficient at doing its job of heating up the room and since it oscillates, it can quickly and evenly warm up a room while maintaining a constant temperature. This heater is ETL certified and is a Ceramic-built heater so that means fire hazards are no longer a problem and on top of that is that it has an automatic fail-safe that immediately shuts off the device if tipped over.
Some of this electric space heater features are: Ceramic Forced Fan Heating with Stay Cool Housing, Tower with Remote Control, Digital Thermostat, Timer, Large Temperature Display, and Efficient ECO Mode.
The heater has a digital thermostat which prevents overheating and stuffiness and an 8-hour timer function with automatic shut-down which gives you control to program the unit for it to maintain a steady yet comfortable temperature within the vicinity of the room where it is stationed at.
The Comfort Zone heater is capable of adjusting its temperature; once the desired heat is attained, it starts to consume less power and heat output but still enough to maintain the room’s temperature. It is lightweight and easy to transfer from place to place; so if there’s a room in need of heating, just change its spot and let it do its job once it’s there.
The only drawback though is that it fares better in rooms that are often as large as a living room. Any rooms that are larger than that might require the use of support such as fans or more heaters in order to distribute the heat. Pros
- Decent price tag
- Fire hazard-proof due to being tested for safety and its nature as a Ceramic Heater
- Quick and efficient at doing its job
- Has an automated fail-safe if ever the device gets tipped
- Can be programmed to provide your heating needs
- Can detect room temperature allowing it to adjust whether it needs to perform more when its cooler or less when the room is hot enough
- Fares better in rooms that are Living Room-sized; anything larger than that might require support to distribute the heat
Final Verdict:Overall, the Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater presents another solid and not-so-pricey option for a heater to be used in your room. Due to it being a Ceramic Heater and being tested for safety, Fire Hazards are the least of your concerns for this heating device. This heater can deliver its job pretty well as it is capable of distributing heat with even temperatures throughout the room through oscillation. Just in case the heater gets tipped over, it has a fail-safe automatic shut-down feature whenever that happens.The Comfort Zone Oscillating Space Heater is smart as it can detect room temperature allowing it to adjust whether the place needs more heat or will the device need to release less heat because the desired temperature is already met. Last but not least is that it is portable. While it is a solid choice, its performance is larger rooms might be decent to a little shaky and might need some support from additional heaters or fans to distribute the heat throughout the room, still a solid choice to consider.
– Last but not least in this rundown is the Mr. Heater Corporation Vent-Free 30,000 BTU Blue Flame Propane Heater. This heater is capable of heating up a big room within a short period of time; whether you want it to be placed on the floor or be hanged on the wall; the Blue Flame Propane Heater does its job well.
[earnist ref=”pursteam-elite-garment-steamer” id=”1836″]
An added fact about this powerful heater is that this can be used during power outages as they don’t rely on external power but instead relies on being fueled by Propane and it sports a fan that helps in making sure that the heat will spread throughout the room. For safety purposes, the Blue Flame heater has a sensor for oxygen depletion to protect individuals within the room from carbon monoxide. However, this heater has a couple of drawbacks; first is that the fittings are a bit on the fragile side so don’t let it get bumped around or keep it out of the way as much as possible and it can be a bit noisy.
- Powerful, it can heat up a very large room within a short period. The model even includes a fan to further speed up the process
- Can be used in the absence of electricity
- Can be either mounted to a wall or be placed on the floor
- Has a countermeasure against carbon monoxide emissions through a sensor
- The fittings are a bit on the fragile side; keep this heater out of the way to minimize damage
- It operates a bit on the louder side
Final Verdict:While the Mr. Heater Corporation Vent-Free 20,000 BTU Blue Flame Propane Heater is a bit on the louder and fragile side. It is still a solid contender for people who are looking for a heater that will go well in a large room. With a quick heating speed and a fan to speed up the process, it can heat up a room within a short span of time regardless of it being stationed on the floor or mounted on the wall of the room. Just keep it out of harm’s way and this heater will serve you well.
Why or When to Use a Space Heater for your Large Room?
Before we would go further into this article; let’s get to know some very important factors on why or when would you need to use a Space Heater for your large room. First off, a Space Heater is considered an attractive choice to consider for heating, if you are only concerned about heating a single room and not the entire house. Or if it is too cold in one room and you just want to speed up the process so you can get cozier, faster. Space heaters are also ideal if you want to decrease your electrical bills since a centralized heating system can be quite expensive in the longer run.Space heaters come in various brands and models. It could be challenging to find the perfect fit for people with different lifestyle and needs. A portable space heater cannot only be great for lowering heating bills but at the same time, you can heat any room which you are currently using by just bringing them around the household!
What to look in a Space Heater for Large Rooms
Next up in this article is to know what you need to look for In a Space Heater that you will use for Large Rooms. As stated in the opening, you would want to obtain the right model so that your home will be properly heated. The first factor that you need to consider in obtaining a Space Heater is Power. If you want to heat a whole room then you need to measure its size; being, in general, is that 10 watts are enough to heat a single square foot of space so that means you need to find a heater that is capable of heating the entire vicinity of the room where it will be placed. Also, you want to ask yourself if you care about the amount of time it takes to heat up the room. If you enter your freezing cold room and need to be asleep soon you may want to keep in mind specific types of heaters that heat up quicker than others.Second is that you need to consider the available fuel options for your preferred heater. Heaters powered by propane tanks require a lot of attention hence aren’t a good choice for places with children. Gas heaters would require having gas lines installed in your household and might be pricey due to the installation costs; although they’re cheaper in the longer run. From the get-go though, electricity-powered heaters are the cheapest option for you to consider.A third factor to consider is the space; it all boils down to whether you need a surface wall heater for use in garages and workshops or perhaps a free-standing heater that has the added benefit of portability whenever it is needed to be transferred from one place to another. Try considering any of the heaters that come in with additional features such as built-in thermostats, adjustable fans, remote controls, timer and wheels and the like.Next, to consider are the safety features. Heaters should come in with a safety label so that you can be sure that the model has been tried and tested. Cool-touch exterior heaters come in with the advantage of not getting hot and become a fire risk. Other models come in with automated switch-off function whenever the heater’s starting to overheat. As for gas heaters, they have an automated switch-off feature whenever there is insufficient oxygen for the heater to use.
Type of Space Heaters:
Before we can go even further; let’s familiarize ourselves first with the different types of Space Heaters.
A. ) Radiant Heaters
Radiant heating systems heat a building through a warm element such as a floor, wall or an overhead panel and warms people and other objects in rooms rather than directly heating the air. The internal air temperature for radiant-heated buildings tend to be lower than that of buildings that are heated by conventional heating systems and that is to attain the optimal level of body comfort. The main advantage of radiant heating systems is that aside from the decreased air circulation inside the room; allergens are less likely to be distributed making them a very attractive choice for people who suffer from dust or pollen allergy.
B. ) Forced Air Heaters
In North America, this is the most prevalent type of heat-transferring medium. Often this is a centralized heating system which relies on air as the medium of transferring heat from one place to another. Forced Air Heaters tend to rely on a network of ductworks and vents as means of distributing the air but these are separate from the actual heating and air conditioning systems. The central heating system varies and can be either one of the following: Natural Gas/Propane or Coal heating system which relies on burning or combustion of fuel. Next, are electric-powered heating systems which rely on a simple electric element to heat the air. Third, is the Heat Pump which extracts heat from the environment either using the ground or the air as the heat source. Last but not least is the Hydronic coil which combines hot water with forced air delivery to create heat.
C. ) Convection Heaters
These heaters operate by air convection currents that circulate within the body of the appliance and across the heating element. The result is that the air heats up, becomes buoyant and quickly rises. A convection heater relies on either one of the three heating elements such as a hot water coil or a steam coil. Because they utilize natural ventilation; convection heaters tend to operate with minimal noise.
D. ) Radiators
Old-fashioned but still effect is what these heaters are best summed up. Radiators come in two variants; first up are the Steam Radiators which rely on boiling water to create steam which travels through pipes into the radiator which heats the room via radiation and convection. A little old-fashioned but still works. The other variation is a bit more modern which are Electric Radiators which functions almost similar to the classic radiator but with a twist.The radiator’s heater core is a metal reservoir that contains special mineral oil which doesn’t need refilling nor replacement due to its extremely high boiling point and heat capacity. This oil even in small amounts can emit high amounts of heat energy. Underneath that reservoir is a heating element that is reminiscent of that in electric stoves which heats the oil and warms the walls of the radiator causing the heat to radiate into the surrounding space. The common trait that these two shares though, is that they are both safe and low-maintenance heating options.
What type of Space Heater is best for large rooms?
Each of the mentioned types of Space Heater can be great in large rooms; it all boils down to preferences of the persons who are occupying the place however, Radiant and Convection Heaters tend to have an edge because first, Forced Air Heaters often have the requirement of having the presence of a central heating unit and a network of vents and ducts where the heated air will come out and in the case of Radiators; they rely on installed pipes where the heat travels through it but gradually becomes cooler as time passes, but lately there are now more portable variants but they heat up rooms in a much slower pace though. Radiant and Convection heaters, on the other hand, have a larger variety of models, they can be either be stationary which can be installed on the walls and the like or in some cases, can be standing models that can be positioned in an open space in a room.
Ways of Power a space heater for large rooms
There are two notable ways for Space Heaters to be powered up; namely through the use of Propane or any form of Natural Gases; or any related fuel sources and through Electrical means. Each one of them comes with their own set of advantages and disadvantages, so let’s take a look at them, shall we?
Electric Space Heaters
Electric heaters rely on an electric element that runs through the pipes. The electric currents will run through the element which heats it up. The current of electricity is then converted into heat energy and spreads through the radiator; emitting the heat energy into the area. This type of heater is considered as an attractive choice when one’s not too happy on turning up the thermostat but still wanted to keep the room of their choice as warm and toasty as much as possible. Pros:
- Electric space heaters can be placed in unventilated rooms
- Often are portable heaters
- Usually utilizes ceramic heating elements to minimize fire hazards
- You can use an electric space heater to heat up the room prior to using it.
- A bit expensive in the long run, don’t be too surprised when you see your electric bill going up
- Electric heaters require to be set up in the open; often away from other objects due to fire hazards.
Propane Space Heaters
Next up are the Propane Space Heaters which utilizes Propane, a very versatile source of fuel which is becoming an attractive alternative to oil, electric and even natural gas as a means to heat up a room especially during the colder parts of the year or in places where the colder seasons last longer than the warmer parts of the year. Often these type of space heaters are considered to be expensive at the first time but becomes cost-friendly in the longer run. Pros:
- Cost-effective; compared to electric-powered heaters. Propane space heaters cost less because the fuel is easy to obtain.
- No monthly bills; the only thing that you will be paying for after when you get a Propane Space Heater and the Propane Tank at first, are the refills of the propane tank to keep it running.
- A clean source of fuel
- Propane is toxic; do not try to touch liquid propane as doing it so results in symptoms similar to Frostbite and ingestion of Propane is potentially lethal.
- High flammability and pressure. The slightest leak or damage to the tank can be dangerous as Propane is highly flammable and the slightest damage in the propane’s containment tank can potentially end in an explosion.
- Initial costs are expensive; you will need to invest a good amount of money for the heater and the first purchase of the Propane Tank.
How much does it cost to run a 1500-watt heater for 24 hours– Before we conclude this article, here’s a question that folks will be asking in regards to using a heater, how much will it cost to run one for around 24 hours. As you can see, the most frequent wattage available for a standard space heater is 1500 watts. Usually, space heaters would cost around $0.15 per kilowatt-hour, so you are looking at $3.60 per day assuming that you are running the heaters for a whole day. Take note though, the rates per kilowatt-hour could vary depending on your area and the electric company that you are paying and this is just a rough estimate.
– If you are to look for a heater that’s suited for a large room, I’d say the best picks are the Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space HeaterDR-968 (1500-Watt) and the DeLonghi HMP1500 Mica Panel Heater because for the former, it is a small powerhouse that can rapidly heat up the room but try using whenever it is only needed as it can skyrocket your electric bills if you’re not watchful. As for the latter, the Mica Panel heater can operate in both large rooms and those with a rather tall ceiling but it is advised you provide additional support so that it can function at its best. As for the other heaters in the list, they’re still decent picks but as said in the case of the Mica Panel, I guess a little bit of additional support can make them perform decently in a large room. However, in the end, it all boils down to the preferences of the people who would want to use a heater for their large rooms. Just bear in mind of the factors and the types of heaters before purchasing one so that you will end up with the right heater for this upcoming cold season. Whichever choice you get it’ll be because you did your research, so congratulations and stay warm!
Last update on 2021-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API